1.  What is the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA)?

The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) was founded in 1924 and has served the tree care industry for over seventy years as a scientific and educational non-profit organization. ISA supports tree care around the world and is dedicated to the care and preservation of shade and ornamental trees. This organization continues to be a dynamic medium through which arborists around the world share their experiences and knowledge for the benefit of society. Aligned on many fronts with other green organizations, ISA is working hard to foster a better understanding of trees and tree care through research and the education of professionals as well as global efforts to inform tree care consumers. See www.isa-arbor.com for more information.  


2.  Do I need a permit to remove my tree?

Many municipalities require a permit to remove significant trees on private property. You can easily determine if you need a permit by measuring the tree at 1.4 metres above the ground (about shoulder height). If it is higher than the minimum diameter listed for your municipality, you will require a permit. To obtain a permit, or determine if you need a permit, CONTACT US FOR A FREE QUOTE, and we can promptly prepare an arborist report and submit the application to the municipality on your behalf. 

If you live in....    






Richmond Hill







Minimum Tree Diameter (@ 1.4m)

30 cm  

20 cm (or 20 cm "Base Diameter") 

20 cm

No Private Tree By-Law

20 cm

5 or more trees measuring 20 cm (or 40 cm "Base Diameter") 

No Private Tree By-Law

No Private Tree By-Law

3 or more trees measuring 15 cm  

40 cm  

5 or more trees @ 20 cm each or 1 tree @ >76 cm




3.  What is an Arborist Report?

An Arborist report is a detailed summary of information regarding the trees on your property. It summarizes where the trees are located on your property, their size and form, species, and overall condition. Also, an arborist report may include recommendations for tree removal or maintenance and, if required, replanting recommendations.


4.  Why do I need an Arborist Report?

An arborist report is often a requirement under your municipality’s tree cutting by-law. The arborist report allows your municipality to assess the viability of a tree and to issue a tree cutting permit.


5.  What do I need to prepare to have a tree inventory (and plan of preservation) completed for my development application?

To facilitate the preparation of a tree inventory and plan of preservation, your arborist requires specific information regarding the site. Most important in the case of a land development application is a legal survey, topographic survey, proposed grading information, proposed site plan and a tree survey.


6.  What is a tree replanting plan? Do I have to replace the trees I want to remove?

A replanting plan details trees that are to be planted to replace a tree that is to be removed. In most cases, the municipality requires any private tree that is being removed to be replaced (under it’s tree cutting by-law, unless it is exempt). Some municipalities offer a cash-in-lieu option. This provides you with the option to pay the municipality to plant a tree for you on their land, rather than planting a replacement on your own property.


7.  What is a Tree Management Plan?

A tree management plan is a tool used to promote the health and well-being of the trees on your property. The management plan often begins by identifying the trees on your site (a tree inventory). By identifying the trees and any possible problems, specifications for maintenance and mitigation can be provided in a logical and concise manner.